Fed up of going out to work every day, slaving at a desk to earn a crust, while your dog, cat, rabbit, or fish lounges around the house? Well, Pet Owners Independence Day aims to change all of that nonsense. The idea of this holiday is that we owners get a turn at lying on the carpet, atop the fridge, take a swim in the fishbowl, while our fluffy friends try out their talents in the workplace. Let them earn the treats for a day.
Admittedly, there could be just a few drawbacks to this holiday… For one thing, will the average cat or dog be up to take a letter, let alone a phone call? For another thing, just how good is a typical owner likely to prove at catching mice, gnawing on bones, burrowing, or keeping the scratching post in trim shape? All that remains to be seen- but it’s a great idea, anyway, and should add a touch of animal magic to the day!
Here are some ideas of just how to celebrate this quirky holiday with your legless, two-legged, or four-legged companion:
1. Go fishing, and if you forget to bring along the poles, just poke at the fish with your hands and play in the water. It’s what your cat and dog like best anyway. The creek in the Dallas City Park is a great spot to find minnows and crawdads.
2. Play fetch. And when you’re done, play fetch again. You can never throw the ball too many times. Plenty of open fields at school playgrounds and parks provide ample opportunities for play.
3. Chase the cat. Despite the popular belief, the cat actually enjoys this game. At least, that is what the dog tells me.
4. Eat new things. Try something new, even if it smells a little funky. You never know what you might like at one of the many restaurants in Dallas.
5. Run some zoomies around the house. Your cat and dog can show you the best routes. Just be prepared for a couple of bumps in the wall.
6. Nap on the couch. The laundry can wait.
7. Laze about in the sun. Vitamin D is a good thing.
8. Learn something new. Despite the old saying, even old dogs can learn new tricks. Keep your brain active. Try the Polk County Museum to see what you might learn about our beloved County.
9. Cuddle with someone you love, then suddenly spaz out and take off. They’ll thank you for it. Afterall gut laughter is many times the best medicine.