Serving Northwest Communities for 160 years
In 1852, H. C. Leonard and John Green moved from Astoria to Portland. A few years earlier, after emigrating from the East Coast, they had founded a store serving the frontier community. But believing that Portland was the city of the future, they moved upriver.
Among other businesses, they founded a gas company. Their purpose was to bring gas lamps to Portland’s streets, homes and businesses. On Jan. 7, 1859, they obtained a perpetual franchise from the territorial government to distribute gas. Weeks later, on Feb. 14, Oregon became a state.
Today, 160 years later, NW Natural carries on the tradition started by Leonard and Green and the Portland Gas Light Co. A business that started with 49 customers in one square mile of Portland now serves more than 750,000 homes and businesses in 140 communities in Oregon and Southwest Washington.
NW Natural employees are committed to making a difference in the communities where we live and work.
Our employees care about the people and needs in our neighborhoods. That’s why many of us spend hours volunteering for causes we are concerned about. And it’s why “Caring” was thoughtfully added to the list of our company’s core values.
NW Natural is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NW Natural Holdings, and is headquartered in Portland, Oregon. NW Natural also serves customers out of resource centers in Albany, Astoria, Coos Bay, Eugene, Lincoln City, Salem and The Dalles in Oregon, and Vancouver, Washington.